Recipe: Creamy Vegan Mushroom Soup
Mindful eating is the new diet! To steal a line from FARMACIE's MANIFESTO: "It is about intuitive, not controlled eating; it promotes connecting to your food, its producer and how it feels in your body".
We are in no way inspired to push a particular way of eating -- there is no perfect diet for everyone, however it was a recent visit with my Chinese medicine doctor that reminded me of the importance (for my body) of consuming warm, cooked foods. Our culture is extremely (perhaps overly) focused on raw foods; we are drowning in smoothies and juice which is why I found it enlightening to take a step back and listen to what my body was asking of me rather than what I was being told to eat.
This gave me an opportunity to be re-inspired in the kitchen skipping the salad for a creamy, comforting soup. This recipe allowed me to create a nutrient dense meal that very closely emulated the comfort I would expect of a soup with cream, all while remaining plant based.
This rich mushroom soup recipe, adapted from The Healthful Pursuit Blog, is amazing! It is Vegan, Gluten-free, Dairy-free, Sugar-free, Yeast-free, Corn-free and Grain-free (if you don't include the bread).
Classic Cream of Mushroom Soup (Vegan + Grain-free)
Author: Leanne Vogel
Prep time: 10 mins | Cook time: 30 mins | Total time: 40 mins | Serves: 2
- 2 cups cauliflower florets
- 1⅔ cup unsweetened original almond milk
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon Himalayan rock salt *I added double this amount
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- ½ teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1½ cups diced white mushrooms *I added some wild mushrooms
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- * I added 3 cloves of garlic as well
- Place cauliflower, milk, onion powder, *one clove of garlic, salt and pepper in a small saucepan. Cover and bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 7-8 minutes, until cauliflower is softened. Then, puree using a food processor, immersion blender or blender.
- Meanwhile, add oil, mushrooms, *a clove of garlic and onion to a medium-sized saucepan. Heat over high heat until onions are translucent and beginning to brown, about 8 minutes.
- Add pureed cauliflower mixture to sautéed mushrooms. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 10 minutes, until thickened.
- Serve immediately.
- *I added a sprig of rosemary to garnish.
- *I accompanied the soup with a homemade garlic toast: toast a piece of bread, drizzle with olive oil and then rub with a clove of garlic to taste.